There is a lot of jargon used in this area and, where possible, it is better to avoid it. The value of business planning comes from the involvement in the process and the clear establishment of short-term targets and activities.
The essential elements of good business plans are:
- Keep directions and strategies simple
- Standard format to aid deployment
- Simple process with a clear timetable
- Good participation for surfacing of issues
- Logical link established between different levels of the organisation
My book explains this in more detail.